Sunday, February 05, 2006

Remember

Remember...
An account of some of my memories of Grandma and Grandpa Finlinson

~ Sitting in my night gown pulled around my feet, in the middle of Grandpa’s pea patch early in the morning.
~ Trying to wake up before Grandpa, but knowing deep down he would be up first and the comfort that knowing gave me.
~ The pride on Grandpa’s face as he held up an amorphous vegetable, with Grandma in the background, smiling proudly at a husband who could create such a phenomenon.

~ Grandma’s soft hands.
~ Grandpa’s half fore finger tricks.
~ Saltines and Ice Cream (only eaten at Grandmas)
~ The warm comfort that came out
of Grandma’s kitchen.
~ Sweet, constant encouragement to do my best and to keep practicing.
~ Soft, buttery Grandma rolls.
~ Top Secret doughnut raids from the downstairs freezers.
~ Rook Tournaments
~ Whisker burned cheeks from Grandpa’s kisses, quickly soothed by Grandma’s soft ones.
~ The delight in Grandma’s eyes when you came to visit and the tears when you left.
~ My long late night talk with Grandma, just shortly after Grandpa died. And her statement that she chose him ( I didn’t realize how many suitors she had) "Because he treated me differently than all the other guys. There was something in his eyes, I had seen them somewhere before".
~ Grandma’s sweet smile, the twinkle in her eye, her soft disposition, and her nonjudgmental countenance.
~ Just sitting in the early morning with Grandpa, reading or talking or just being, while everyone else slept.
~ Grandpa’s gentle touch, through his rough, strong hands.

4 comments:

Rich said...

Seems like Grandpa should have been on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson with vegetables like that, right?

Diana said...

your and Rich's comments about your grandparents, makes me sad that I never met them. I really enjoy your blog entries

Chad said...

Bizarre...Just bizarre. I knew I married into the right family.

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful. It brings back special memories of very special people. We loved them, and we love you.
Love, Mom and Dad