Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Parable of the Gnats


The other night as I was laying on the grass, listening to an outdoor Celtic concert, I couldn't help but get annoyed at the gnats that kept buzzing my face. A whole swarm wanted to be nowhere else but by me. I tried everything, laying flatter on the ground than my friends, raising my arm above my head, shooing them with more force and yes, cursing at them, but to no avail. Finally I had a realization that changed the rest of the evening. "If you can't fight them or change them, just enjoy them". So I sat back and started watching the pattern that each individual gnat was flying, I then recognized that the whole swarm moved together as one. I became enthralled with their coreographed movements one with another and how they stayed together as a cohesive group, not one gnat straying. It truly became a beautiful sight. As the evening came to a close and the gnats disappered with the sun, I was humbled one more time for the lesson that I had just been taught.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow you NEVER cease to amaze me. I love that you can find joy in gnats! Also I love the grapefruit picture!

g&k fin said...

I wonder if I can take a picture like that with mosquitos. I don't dare just sit and enjoy them.