Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Holy Pilgrimage

I just finished my holy pilgrimage to the city Rishikesh.... a place of meditation, yoga, instruction, and a bath in the holy ganges river.......actually two. I have become pure and will reach nirvana because of all the water I swallowed. I just hope it doesn't become nirvana revenge. We camped on the white beaches in the foothills of the Himalayas. The olive green river flowed through the ravine of high towering hills, dotted with ashrams or learning places for the pilgrims. Terraced mountains, rain, monkeys and the sound of flowing water awakened me to my new reality. The ititnerary for the day...... my first yoga session.....white water rafting on the Ganges River.... hitting the rapid Panga and flipping over on the raft.......... deciding I am already wet so why not jump in later and surf down the Body Surf rapids........... a religious discourse on Hinduism with a Swami......visiting the holiest city in Hinduism, Rishikesh..........and watching the Aarti, or evening prayers to Krishna on the Ganges. It was truly enlightening!

On the way back to Delhi, we visited a leper colony one of the rotary clubs here helps. What a beautiful little village. Fingerless, footless, noseless, hearts of gold, and pure souls, came to see the Americans with their big smiles, fingerless namastes, and glitters in their eyes. 80 families are supported with food and medication, bandages and clothing. What a beautiful sight...

The Rotary Blood Bank was next.... impressive. It is amazing the goodness of people in this world. They give so much time and money. Truly it is service above self. Wally and I have left everyone at the airport last night, we leave for Kathmandu today. So far everything sounds good for us to go. I am excited for awaits me.... The children in the orphanage, going to church at the Kathmandu Branch, toothless smiles from those we are about to help.

No comments: